Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Social Bookmarking: Global Data Sharing?

Part of being a good leader is leading by example. If I tell teachers they should be using data to improve what they do, I should also be using data, right?  This concept applies to technology integration as well.  If we, as a school, need to do a better job of using technology, then we may need to consult with experts in the field to determine what the best practices are.  To that end, I offer a link to a social bookmarking list I have created:



The wealth of information about using technology is incredible, and I learned a great deal from searching for it.  Many schools are already doing wonderful things that we can emulate and refine to fit our own schools.  You Tube allows teachers to gain a plethora of knowledge--without having to pay a single dime in registration fees.  See my list for how-to videos on using tools such as SketchUp, Glogster, and Kid Blog.  Another thing I learned is how many Open Source options there are that may help schools utilize great technology solutions without overspending.

Because technology changes so rapidly, it only makes sense that this list would need to be revisited periodically and updated to reflect changing practices.  Social bookmarking is also a great way for faculty to share ideas with one another.  Two years ago, I worked with one of our county technology people to create a social bookmarking site for our teachers.  We bookmarked sites that pertained to meeting the needs of a diverse student population.  Teachers could use this site to easily access information instead of having to cull through literally thousands of sites brought up by a Web search.

Two of my favorite resources on this list are the Jose Picardo links ("Box of Tricks" [a blog of his]and "Top Ten Tips . . ." [a You Tube video]).  Another concept I really like is presented in the article "New School Technology:  Introducing Tech STARS."   

I hope you enjoy these resources and find them useful.  In addition to the information you get from looking at the sites themselves, you may well find links to other sites that are specific to your needs and interests.

If you have sites you find particularly helpful, please comment below with a link--maybe I can add them to my list!

2 comments:

  1. When I first learned about YouTube, I would have never thought it would be a useful tool teachers, but it really is! I am going to create stacks through my social bookmarking site for teacher usage also. Your post is very similar to Cindy's this week. Great information! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I have to agree with Stevi that I would never have though of YouTube as the place for educators to find material. But it really does have many videos that would be useful to classroom teachers. As you are using it for technology resources, I have used it to find bullying resources for our Advisory program.

    ReplyDelete